A great use for when you pick too many apples at the orchard.
- 6 lbs apples
- 8 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 lemon, just want the zest and juice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, (half can be packed brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 3/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup port or dry red wine, (optional)
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Put in crockpot with apple juice/cider, lemon, sugar, and spices. Stir to mix.
- Turn crockpot to high and cook for about an hour, to get it to boil. Prop
- Once boiling, stir, add wine if desired, and turn heat to low.
- Cook on low heat for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, lid propped,
- Pour apple butter into 1/2 pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Place sealed jars in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Alternately, place in freezer containers and freeze.
the cooker. (I put an old bath towel under and around the crockpot so I
don't completely mess up the kitchen counter if it splatters.)
circle around the mound doesn't run.
<-- Back to main page