To make fresh pumpkin puree from a pumpkin, follow these simple steps.
- Sugar Pumpkin, (sometimes referred to as pie pumpkins)
- Make sure you buy a "pie pumpkin" (sometimes called a "sugar pumpkin"). They are much smaller than carving pumpkins.
- Wash outside in warm water to remove any dirt (do not use soap).
- Cut the pumpkin in half. This is pretty difficult, so be careful!
- Scoop out all the seeds and stringy guts -- make sure you get it all out. (Save the seeds for roasting, yum!)
- Take a big pot, put an inch of water in the bottom, then put a steamer basket in, put the pumpkin pieces in (if you have to, cut into quarters to fit in pan), and steam on stovetop for 20-30 minutes. After 15 minutes, check to see if fork tender. If not, keep checking every 5 min or so until pumpkin is fork tender, and flesh can easily be separated from the rind.
- Scoop flesh out with a spoon into a bowl.
- Puree with hand blender or food processor until silky smooth.
- Voila, done!
- One pie pumpkin should yield between 12-16 oz of pumpkin puree, depending on the size of the pumpkin.
<-- Back to main page