Strawberry Hot Pepper Jam
- 2 1/2 lbs strawberries
- 2/3 cup minced serrano pepper, (or about 1 cup jalapeno)
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 package pectin
- Clean and hull strawberries.
- In a wide bowl, crush them in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berries.
- Mince peppers (or, easier, pulse in food processor until have a fine mince -- do not puree into a paste, though).
- In a heavy bottomed non-reactive pan, mix together strawberries, peppers, lemon juice, and pectin and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in sugar and return to boil.
- Boil, stirring often, until mixture reaches 220 degrees (until bubbles start building up on each other, when all the water has basically boiled out).
- To test for jelling, place a plate in the freezer, and when the mixture reaches 220 degrees, place a teaspoon of liquid of jam onto the cold plate. Return the plate to the freezer for one minute, and then run your finger through the jam on the plate. If it doesn't try to run back together, it is ready.
- Transfer to sterile jars, and process in a water bath according to normal canning procedure.
<-- Back to main page