- 2 lbs strawberries
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Clean and hull strawberries.
- In a wide bowl, crush them in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berries.
- In a heavy bottomed non-reactive pan, mix together strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase to high heat, bringing to a rolling boil.
- Boil, stirring often, until mixture reaches 220 degrees (until bubbles start building up on each other, when all the water has basically boiled out).
- To test for jelling, place a plate in the freezer, and when the mixture reaches 220 degrees, place a teaspoon of liquid of jam onto the cold plate. Return the plate to the freezer for one minute, and then run your finger through the jam on the plate. If it doesn't try to run back together, it is ready.
- Transfer to sterile jars, and process in a water bath according to normal canning procedure.
<-- Back to main page