Tart Cherry Jam
I love picking tart cherries at the local orchard, and this is a great way to use them!
- 2 lbs 5 oz tart cherries, (weight after pitting)
- 2 lbs 2 oz sugar
- 1 box sur jell fruit pectin
- Mash cherries with a potato masher or heavy spoon.
- In an 8 qt non-reactive pot, mix the cherries and pectin.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring well.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Return to heat and bring to a hard boil for a minute.
- To test for jelling, place a plate in the freezer, and when the mixture is ready, place a teaspoon of liquid of jam onto the cold plate. Return the plate to the freezer for one minute, and then run your finger through the jam on the plate. If it doesn't try to run back together, it is ready.
- Transfer to sterile jars, and process in a water bath according to normal canning procedure.
- This amount should make 7-8 8oz jars.
<-- Back to main page