Tart Cherry Sorbet
I'm a huge fan of tart flavors, and this emphasizes the flavor of tart cherries. One of my favorites!
- 2 lb 10 oz tart cherries, pitted (frozen, or fresh)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbl light corn syrup
- Put 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and leave undisturbed to cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- If cherries were frozen, allow to thaw.
- Put cherries in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Strain puree through fine strainer to remove skin and pulp. I found that to get it really smooth, it was best to strain it twice.
- Pour cooled sugar syrup, corn syrup, last 1/3 cup water, and lemon juice into strained puree and mix to combine.
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap, place in fridge, and let cool for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- Put mixture in the bowl of ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer sorbet to airtight container and put in freezer. If possible, let sit in freezer for at least 3 hours before serving. Best if let sit overnight.
<-- Back to main page